Tuesday 17 February 2009

Embroidery Love

We're having a bit of a re-shuffle at the moment - moving a few things about in the house, switching round some ornaments and pot plants, trying to declutter a bit, and plan a few simple projects to smarten the place up a little.

One of the things I'm planning to do in the lounge is replace some of our slightly tatty cushions with some nice new ones (homemade, of course). Among the cushions soon to be evicted from the sofa are this vintage pair...... the embroidery is rather the worse for wear (and almost non-existant in places) but oh how I love that design!
I'm thinking about maybe taking the cushions apart and trying to restore (ie unpick and replace) parts of the stitching. Then I can perhaps use them as panels in new cushions or stretch them over frames or something? All thoughts and ideas welcome! :)

11 comments:

Matouchka said...

Hi, first comment here!
Rather than replacing the worn parts, which could be difficult because when it's old, it is kind of melted in the fabric, I would keep them and stretch them over frames.
AND, if you feel like it, well, copy the pattern! It's a challenge for sure, but the stitches are quite simple, and you managed so much already... A matter of time, but you'll feel very proud once you have old-new cushions!

Christelle Lardenois said...

I really love your colors... pretty things here!

Cat McLaughlin said...

Pretty flowers :) You could maybe rescue the intact parts of embroidery and use them as panels to make up part of a patchwork quilt?

Rhiannon said...

What loveliness :D

I like the idea of putting them into really big embroidery hoops and hanging them that way
I also like Matouchka's idea about copying the pattern on to the new cushions
xxx

Tumus said...

You could use your bigger faux bois frames to frame these in. They might look nice in the kitchen or where you need more color ^_^

bex said...

they look lovely! and put our cushions to shame. hope the restoration goes well...i can see them looking good in embroidery hoops
x

Anonymous said...

I'd definitely frame these and not try to repair them. Theya re very pretty :)

Vicky aka Stichr said...

I vote for the framing.

Vicky aka Stichr said...

I had to go back and look at the picture before adding another thought....Maybe use an oval frame? Or hoop. {I got a cheap-o oval hoop that's been staring at me from the wall...it just begs for something fun added to it.}

Knit Sew City Girl said...

Hiya! The embroidery is lovely. I vote for framing it.

Mary

Lisa said...

Actually, before I'd do anything, I'd scan it. There are embroidery machines that can use it as a template/pattern. THEN do what you want with the original. :)